Friday, November 14, 2008

Rejoice

We Rejoice because the Lord is ours,
we are sown in weakness for the express purpose
of attaining to greater power and perfection.
In everything the Saints may Rejoice-
in persecution, because it is necessary to purge them,
and prepare the wicked for their doom;
in sickness and in pain, though they are hard to bear,
because we are thereby made acquainted with pain,
with sorrows, and with every affliction
that mortals can endure,
for by contact all things are demonstrated to our senses.
We have reason to Rejoice exceedingly that faith is in the world,
that the Lord reigns,
and does his pleasure among the inhabitants of the earth.
Do you ask if I Rejoice because the Devil has the advantage
over the inhabitants of the earth,
and has afflicted mankind?
I most assuredly answer in the affirmative;
I Rejoice in this as much as in anything else.
I Rejoice because I am afflicted.
I Rejoice because I am poor.
I Rejoice because I am cast down.
Why? Because I shall be lifted up again.
I Rejoice that I am poor because I shall be made rich,
that I am afflicted, because I shall be comforted,
and prepared to enjoy the felicity of perfect happiness,
for it is impossible to properly appreciate happiness except by enduring the opposite."

Brigham Young Manual 1998-1999 p.178

No comments: