Thursday, May 9, 2013

The Greatest thing I have done in my life



ALL BUT MY LIFE: A MEMOIR
by Gerda Weissman Klein

A sweet Jewish girl from Poland-age 18 during the Holocaust.
From Part 2 Chapter 6


At one point during her imprisonment she was part of a work crew operating weaving machines.  During this bleak time separated from loved ones and in difficult situations she thought to create skits and plays to entertain the girls at night in their bunks.

“Best of all I loved those upturned faces between the bunks, the smiles and sudden laughter, the knowledge that it was in my power to bring them an hour of fun to help them forget.  When I look back now over the years thinking of their happy faces I remember too how pitifully few lived to know the joy of freedom.  When I remember the forests of Czechoslovakia where most of them lie in unmarked graves I thank God that I was able to make them forget.  Even now when I meet the few girls who survived and they remind me of those performances I feel humble and grateful. 
I know that that was the greatest thing I have done in my life.”

No comments: